Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Advertainment & Burger King

The Wall Street Journal has selected its 5 best and 5 worst ads of 2008. You are invited to vote to choose the one that you really like and the one you really hate.

The Burger King Whopper Freakout ad by Crispin Porter + Bogusky was my favourite ad, although it was first launched in 2007...but don't tell the WSJ (I hope that one day my blog will be reviewed in there columns LOL).

Why do I like this ad? Because it is the consumers who show they love for the product (and not a paid actor) with great natural emotional reactions. So it has got to be true! It is also very entertaining to watch (better be since it is more than 7 minutes long). And that is one of the directions that advertising is taking to survive...advertainment.

On the other hand, I really don't like the 2008 Whopper Virgins campaign for Burger King by the same agency (the one WSJ should have selected - in the Worst). It's really bad taste! Our generation doesn't want to impose our way of doing/eating. Yet I think that if they were looking to create controversy, it is a success.